RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! jorge herrera 5/11/11 8:38 PM
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! Jeff Trackaroo 5/11/11 10:10 PM
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! paul luis almeida 8/26/11 11:25 AM
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! Jeff Trackaroo 8/26/11 12:58 PM
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! Hsun Chen 12/29/11 9:15 AM
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released! Jeff Trackaroo 12/29/11 9:37 AM
Trackmaster v2.0 released!
3/27/10 1:38 PM
Trackmaster v2.0 includes bug fixes and new bluetooth GPS support. Support for bluetooth GPS is provided by an add-on, Bluetooth GPS Service, which you can purchase and download from the Market. The add-on allows you to use an external GPS unit that can provide better accuracy and higher sampling rates. The internal phone GPS unit supports 1Hz sampling. This works fine for most track days. You can purchase external units with 5Hz sampling. This can provide better results especially for fast, tight courses.

The external bluetooth GPS units must support NMEA protocol (most do). Also, the bluetooth GPS support is only available on Android 2.0+ devices. Please email me if you have any questions.

The Bluetooth GPS Service provides a standalone monitoring function that you can use to check the external GPS data and the sample rate.

In Trackmaster, a new GPS mode setting is available that allows you to select Internal or Bluetooth. It also allows you to select your bluetooth GPS device. The device must first be paired which can be done under your phone bluetooth settings.

When you switch to your Logger screen, Trackmaster will automatically connect to your bluetooth GPS. If successful, a notification will appear.

Having fun using this new feature and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Jeff
RE: Trackmaster v2.0 released!
3/28/10 1:03 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Any BT GPS units suggested?
3/28/10 1:24 PM as a reply to Steven Schlossman.
The QStarz GPS units work very well and are a good value. They're very small, acquire satellites quickly, and allow you to switch to 5Hz, too. The 818X has a 42 hour battery life in case you forget to charge it. The 890 is small enough to put on your keychain.

BT-Q818X:

BT-Q890:

Purchase Qstarz Bluetooth GPS Units

Jeff
3/28/10 3:40 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Thanks.
Maybe with bluetooth it would work better in pocket mode in the car.

Nothing with a magnetic mount or I guess I can secure it to my harness bar?
3/28/10 5:32 PM as a reply to Steven Schlossman.
I'm not sure if you have tried Pocket Mode recently, but there was an issue in v1.14 with some devices. This was fixed in v1.15. Please try Pocket Mode again and let me know if you're still having issues.

As far as mounting the GPS, I just mount it on the dash under the windshield with a large piece of velcro.

Jeff
3/29/10 9:06 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
I have the BT-Q890 and have it mounted on the windshield, kind of behind the rear view using a small velcro square. The unit is extremely light and has no issues with this mounting solution. I like it because it's hidden. You can kind of see it in this photo from Saturday's autocross ...

Also, just to note, using the BT unit to set splits at autocross has proved to be much more accurate than the onboard unit. It will some times take a few seconds to find accuracy if the devices goes to sleep, but I could consistently get 7' accuracy with the BT unit while setting split markers.
3/30/10 12:55 PM as a reply to Matt L Williams.
Small bug with BT GPS Service:

If you pan around the map, the zoom buttons overlap the main function buttons of the app at the bottom of the screen. Also, attempting to zoom at this point usually clicks the buttons behind and not the zoom buttons.
3/30/10 8:50 PM as a reply to Matt L Williams.
Thanks. I'll get that fixed on the next release.

Jeff
3/31/10 11:12 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Disappointed you expect us to pay 80% of the original price for an add-on, which was the reason I bought TrackMaster in the first place. Probably wouldn't had bothered if I knew it would cost me so much more for a small addon.
4/1/10 8:32 AM as a reply to Dyna Might.
I think Trackmaster is still a bargain compared to your other options for lap timing. But if you are unhappy with Trackmaster at anytime, I provide a money-back guarantee. Just email me and I'll refund your money.

Jeff
4/1/10 8:47 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
As opposed to RaceChrono for WM/S60 phones that's completely free? I know some of the hardware solutions are quite expensive, but that includes hardware as well.

I bought TrackMaster late summer last year for trackdays, tried it in Sept but found the internal GPS very lacking, then heard that you were going to allow external GPS's which I was prepared to wait for. I'm not saying you shouldnt get paid for your work, I just didnt quite expect such a high amount for this add-on, doesnt help that my bank also charge me an admin fee because of the currency conversion emoticon
4/4/10 11:32 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Jeff Trackaroo:
I think Trackmaster is still a bargain compared to your other options for lap timing.
Same here.
Would I like a Traqmate? Sure.
For the few DEs and AXs I do a year, this suits me more than just fine.
I'll be paying for the addon once I buy an external GPS.

Edit: Just spent $300+ on brake pads. This is the least of my expenses. emoticon
4/6/10 11:35 AM as a reply to Steven Schlossman.
With the time and effort that has gone in to this addon, it's well worth the cost ... probably more. The idea of "Freeware" has spoiled many consumers. It comes down to the fact that people take lots of time to build this kind of thing for the community, and they deserve to be paid for their efforts. If they want to give it away for free, that's their choice. But, if they want to be reimbursed, it's only fair.

And, honestly, we're talking about $4. Unless the bank is charging you a huge flat fee for the currency conversion it shouldn't be a big deal.

Sorry to vent ...
4/19/10 2:07 PM as a reply to Matt L Williams.
I'm pondering the bigger Q818X. What would my mounting options be here? Would heavy-duty velco patches on the back work, or would they block a battery compartment, etc? Actually, is the back a battery compartment? I'd be concerned about that flying off in a corner if that's how it were attached...

FYI this is for a kart, so it needs to hold up to ~2 - 3Gs of lateral force.

:edit: Did a little googling and others are saying there's room on the back for a velcro patch on the 818x, and the heavy duty 3M velcro stuff I have should work a treat.
4/20/10 7:34 AM as a reply to Tim S.
I've only used the 890, but there is no battery compartment. It's a (somewhat) sealed case. Velcro works fine for me, but I'm only pulling about 1.1g max. The units are very light, so there isn't much mass to toss around.
5/7/10 7:50 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Hi All,

I cannot connect to my external Qstarz BT-Q890 GPS. Can anyone give me any hints?

I purchased the BT-Q890 to use with Trackmaster and purchased the Trackmaster GPS software too.

My HTC Incredible shows in my settings menu that I have paired with the QStarz device, but it reports "Paired but not connected." (Is this correct?) Then, in Trackmaster Settings I have set "GPS Mode: Bluetooth" and selected "QStarz GPS" as the device. In green it shows "Status: Ready" and "Device: Qstarz GPS".

Ultimately though, when I go back to the Start Session page for Trackmaster I get the warning "GPS Connection Failure: Unable to connect to your GPS. Would you like to change your settings or retry? Settings | Retry | Cancel".

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks!
5/7/10 10:11 AM as a reply to M M.
Your settings are correct. Sometimes the initial bluetooth discovery fails. Usually the second try works. Also, you can launch the BT GPS Service as an app. This provides a status screen. Please try to connect from this. The 890 has a one button switch to 5Hz. Don't toggle this after you are connected or attempting to connect. This will drop the bluetooth connection.

Jeff
5/7/10 12:09 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Here is what I tried:

1 Turn on bluetooth on my phone (internal gps is off).
2 Turn on the Qstarz GPS, put it into 5hz mode.
3 Launch the Trackaroo BT GPS Service.
4 Have Trackaroo BT GPS Service try to connect to my GPS. Get Error "Connection Failure: Unable to connect to your GPS." (At this point my Qstar has the flashing green X for 5hz mode and a solid orange GPS indicator light.)
5 Try to connect again and again, same error.
6 Pressed and held the button on the Qstar for 2 seconds, turning off 5hz mode. Indicator lights turned to solid blue for BT (meaning it is pairing) and solid orange for GPS.
7 Tried to reconnect - failure.

It is clear that the Qstarz is listening to the phone, because it gets waken up from sleep (it shows solid blue for BT and solid orange for GPS) whenever Trackaroo BT GPS Service tries to connect, but the connection never succeeds.
5/7/10 12:29 PM as a reply to M M.
It looks like you're doing everything correctly. Can you send an email to support@trackaroo.com? I'm going to provide a debug load to gather more information.

Jeff
5/10/10 11:08 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
MM, are you running it with the switch on 5hz mode? On mine once I switch it there it seems to disable Bluetooth for some reason, but after I updated it via USB it's in 5hz even when the switch is on normal, or at least that's what the BT GPS service reads it as.
5/11/10 10:11 AM as a reply to Tim S.
Tim S:
MM, are you running it with the switch on 5hz mode? On mine once I switch it there it seems to disable Bluetooth for some reason, but after I updated it via USB it's in 5hz even when the switch is on normal, or at least that's what the BT GPS service reads it as.

I have tried and failed to connect both when the device is in 1hz mode and in 5hz mode. I too noticed that in 5hz mode the indicator light for Bluetooth pairing suggests the GPS is not looking for other devices.

I'll look into applying some of the GPS from the QStarz website to see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion!
5/11/10 10:15 AM as a reply to M M.
I'm guessing yes, but to be safe: did you pair the GPS with the phone first by going into Settings -> Wireless -> Bluetooth Settings -> and "Scan for Devices?"

Your phone should be able to see the device and add it to the list of devices, but it won't pair to it. Once it's added you should then be able to see it from the BT utility app.
5/11/10 12:41 PM as a reply to Tim S.
Out of the box (no software updates applied) the BT GPS was discoverable from my phone's BT settings menu and I could pair with the GPS. Just like you said, Android reports the GPS as "Paired but not connected."

The Trackaroo BT app does report the QStarz GPS as a device to which it can connect, but I get a Connection Failed error when I tell it to use the QStarz.
5/11/10 12:43 PM as a reply to M M.
Ahh, sorry, you did say that above and I missed it.

I see the same "Paired but not connected" but once bringing it in to the BT app it's recognized immediately. This is on a Droid, though.
5/11/10 3:37 PM as a reply to Tim S.
Jeff pointed me to another app "Bluetooth GPS" by Googoo, and since my QStarz fails to connect to that app too, it seems that Trackmaster is not to blame. Now to go figure out if it is the HTC Incredible's hardware, Sense or some other thing that is at fault!
5/11/10 3:39 PM as a reply to M M.
Sucks regardless emoticon

Have any friends with Android or Windows Mobile devices you could try it out on?
5/11/10 4:16 PM as a reply to M M.
Your idea of connecting to the GPS with your laptop is still a good idea. That would determine whether it's an issue with the 890 or the HTC Incredible. If you're willing to install some Android tools, you can use ADB logcat to capture all system messages. I'm certain that these system messages would shed some light on what is going on.

ADB logcat

I've tried researching any bluetooth issues with the HTC Incredible, but no luck. It's still a new device, so if it is an issue with your phone then other people will start complaining, too.

Jeff
5/11/10 7:29 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
So I went to the Verizon store and I believe it is the HTC Incredible that is at fault. Here is what we tried.

1) (Pass) Connected my BT-Q890 to the store's Motorola Droid and used Googoo's "Bluetooth GPS" to successfully talk to the BT-Q890.
2) (Pass) Connected via bluetooth my HTC Incredible to the store's Motorola Droid and initiated a file between phones. We did not run the file transfer to completion but the communication appeared successful.
3) (Fail) We paired my BT-Q890 to a second HTC Incredible unit owned by the store. Googoo's "Bluetooth GPS" could NOT connect to the BT-Q890.

I think this indicates that in general my HTC Incredible can use its Bluetooth, but that it has a specific problem with the BT-Q890. It also suggests that all HTC Incredibles might fail to work with the QStarz GPS units.

I wonder if HTC changed the implementation of the Bluetooth stack for Sense UI. Here is one thread that suggests HTC did such a thing for the HTC Desire, which I think is closely related to the Incredible (link). They might have disabled Serial Port Protocol (SPP) in their Bluetooth stack, and I think that the BT-Q890 communicates using SPP.

Here are the Bluetooth protocols that the manual says the HTC Incredible supports: Bluetooth® 2.1 with FTP/OPP for file transfer, A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, and PBAP for phonebook access from the car kit. No mention of SPP, which is what I think the GPS uses...right?

A question: are there any newer 5hz GPS units that communicate via a different Bluetooth protocol? Maybe a different unit/protocol would be able to connect to the Incredible?

Otherwise I might need to wait for someone to root the Incredible so that I can use the Nexus One BT stack.
5/17/10 5:16 AM as a reply to M M.
Update: HTC support's general position is that they can only recommend voice/headset Bluetooth devices. I tried contacting HTC's HQ USA and left messages with one of their product managers there, but never received any replies.

Long story short, it seems my HTC Incredible does not support SPP. I have found other threads where users try to connect SPP keyboards and game controllers without success. According to the one GPS vendor I called, all the external GPS units communicate over SPP. Looks like I am stuck!

I am probably going to return the phone and GPS.
5/17/10 8:27 AM as a reply to M M.
Thanks for the follow-up and sorry to hear the bad news. Not sure why HTC decided not to support the SPP profile. As you pointed out, the bluetooth SPP profile is used to communicate with many types of devices including other phones. Hopefully, they will support this in the near future.

Jeff
5/18/10 7:16 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
I just confirmed the same for the Verizon HTC Eris with Android 2.1.......... NO SPP

From the manual:
The phone supports the following Bluetooth profiles: HSP 1.2
(Headset Profile 1.2), HFP 1.5 (Handsfree Profile 1.5), A2DP 1.2
(Advanced Audio Distribution Profile 1.2), AVRCP 1.0 (A/V Remote
Control Profile 1.0), GAVDP (Generic A/V Distribution Profile), and
GAP (Generic Access Profile).

Is SPP the only profile used by external GPS?

Thanks,

Alan

p.s. I just got the 2.1 update Sunday morning and downloaded Trackmaster for three HPDE sessions on Sunday. Its awesome! The lap times were verified against guys I was running with as well as an onlooker with stopwatch. However, the overlay doesn't match the track very well, and the G graph has some anomalies. I'd love to get an external GPS to increase the accuracy.
5/18/10 9:39 PM as a reply to Alan James Wolfe.
Unfortunately, all the bluetooth GPS receivers use SPP (serial) profile for communication. SPP is also used by gamepads (game controllers) and some phone-to-phone communication (multi-player games). It's too bad HTC isn't doing more to support SPP.

Jeff
5/19/10 4:21 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
In the off chance there's a Windows Phone 7 version of the app in the future, as of now that entire OS does not support SPP.

Just an FYI...
5/19/10 7:33 PM as a reply to Tim S.
I'm still monitoring M M's post on the HTC forum. Someone has gone as far as to say that HTC is running an early 2.1 build and not the same as the Nexus One (or Droid). So maybe we can hope that there will be an update from HTC in the near future.

M M's Bluetooth HTC Forum Post

Jeff
spp bluetooth gps
6/8/10 9:46 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
For the Droid Incredible users without SPP does the BT-818X connect via USB and would that work with the program?
6/8/10 10:10 PM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
Sorry, the 818X can't connect via USB to your HTC. HTC needs to fix their bluetooth stack. I'm pretty confident that they will fix it, but not sure when. I suggest contacting HTC to hopefully get them to work quickly.

HTC Support Email

Jeff
6/8/10 10:30 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
I'm actually just about to pick up an HTC Evo and was planning on purchasing your app first thing. But I fear the same problem that the Incredible has, the Evo will probably have so I don't want to rush out to buy the GPS just yet unless there are other methods of connecting.
6/8/10 10:57 PM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
Give me a couple days and I'll let you know. I'm trying to get my hands on a HTC 4G EVO. It's a little difficult since they are apparently sold out.

Jeff
6/8/10 11:50 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Yeah they were sold out all over the place here in Northern Cal. I preordered from radioshack for their next shipment which is this friday and they gave a $20 giftcard for preordering which i guess I can use towards sales tax haha.
6/17/10 12:29 PM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
Any update on the Evo?
6/17/10 1:10 PM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
Yes, I was able to get a hold of one for testing. I was able to connect to a Qstarz 818x and log GPS data successfully. There were some issues with reconnecting (after disconnecting). In some cases, I had to toggle the bluetooth to reset it.

Jeff
6/17/10 2:02 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Awesome, thanks for the info!! I'll order one right now emoticon

Any diff between the 818 and 890?
7/6/10 5:10 PM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
As an FYI to any other HTC Evo owners out there, I got the external bluetooth working with the 818x as well.
7/16/10 10:00 AM as a reply to Ruch Gini.
It sounds like the Droid Incredible is getting an OTA update right now. I'm hoping bluetooth fixes are included. It also includes some new features.

Droid Life

Jeff
7/19/10 12:20 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
The HTC Eris is also getting an update to fix bugs related to 2.1. One of the fixes is a bluetooth fix so that the Eris now works with Jabra headsets. I'm hoping that means they fixed SPP while they were at it. I will query HTC once I get the update.
7/19/10 1:28 PM as a reply to Alan James Wolfe.
The European HTC Hero/Eris received the 2.1 update just recently (couple months after USA) and bluetooth GPS works with it. I'm guessing this USA update will include those same bluetooth SPP fixes.

The HTC Incredible update didn't happen, but it sounds like it was delayed a couple weeks to include the full Froyo update. A couple weeks delay is worth getting Froyo.

Boy Genius Report

Jeff
7/21/10 3:25 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Guess I'm stuck with Eris internal GPS. I have 14 months before I'm eligible for subsidized upgrade. emoticon

ANY Eris USERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE Bluetooth GPS WORKING???

I hate to spend $70 for a paper weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alan Wolfe,

After the Android 2.1 update, there were some reports of the Droid Eris Bluetooth not being able to connect and pair properly to some car kits and Jabra headsets. The latest update did include Jabra Bluetooth support, however I do not believe this included the SPP Bluetooth profile.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10USCW30ENA001752.

Sincerely,

Rafael

HTC
7/22/10 2:04 PM as a reply to Alan James Wolfe.
Alan James Wolfe:
Guess I'm stuck with Eris internal GPS. I have 14 months before I'm eligible for subsidized upgrade. emoticon

ANY Eris USERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE Bluetooth GPS WORKING???

I hate to spend $70 for a paper weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alan Wolfe,

After the Android 2.1 update, there were some reports of the Droid Eris Bluetooth not being able to connect and pair properly to some car kits and Jabra headsets. The latest update did include Jabra Bluetooth support, however I do not believe this included the SPP Bluetooth profile.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 10USCW30ENA001752.

Sincerely,

Rafael

HTC

I sure hope this isn't true. I order the GPS a couple days ago and then I stumble upon this. I will have an update on as soon I receive the unit. If it doesn't work I will have one FOR SALE.
7/23/10 2:02 PM as a reply to Jason M Jacko.
Afraid so. I asked them to confirm and got this back:

Dear Alan Wolfe,

I was able to check on this and the Droid Eris does not support SPP Bluetooth profile at this time. However, I will submit feedback for consideration of adding it in the future.

Sincerely,

Rafael

HTC
7/26/10 10:53 AM as a reply to Alan James Wolfe.
The US Eris received an OTA update last week. Did that affect the issue any?

I would be happy to test it, but the Eris I have is connected to my Wife's Google account so I'd need to DL the BT GPS application again.
7/26/10 11:40 AM as a reply to Matt L Williams.
No, these answers from HTC are post update.....
7/27/10 6:01 AM as a reply to Matt L Williams.
Has anyone had a chance to try BT GPS on the new Motorola Droid X? I might get that phone if I knew it worked for Trackmaster's external GPS mode.
7/28/10 4:42 PM as a reply to M M.
Yes, works on the Droid X. Motorola has been very good with supporting the bluetooth protocols.

Jeff
8/27/10 10:40 AM as a reply to M M.
M M:
Update: HTC support's general position is that they can only recommend voice/headset Bluetooth devices. I tried contacting HTC's HQ USA and left messages with one of their product managers there, but never received any replies.

Long story short, it seems my HTC Incredible does not support SPP. I have found other threads where users try to connect SPP keyboards and game controllers without success. According to the one GPS vendor I called, all the external GPS units communicate over SPP. Looks like I am stuck!

I am probably going to return the phone and GPS.

Verizon is rolling out Android 2.2(Froyo) to the HTC Incredible. I'm hoping the bluetooth issue is fixed with this release. Since bluetooth works fine with the HTC EVO (Froyo, too), I think there is a pretty good chance that the Incredible will work now.

Verizon Release Doc

Jeff
9/26/10 7:30 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Jeff Trackaroo:

Verizon is rolling out Android 2.2(Froyo) to the HTC Incredible. I'm hoping the bluetooth issue is fixed with this release. Since bluetooth works fine with the HTC EVO (Froyo, too), I think there is a pretty good chance that the Incredible will work now.

Verizon Release Doc

Jeff

Has anyone tried connecting to an external GPS with the Incredible running Android 2.2?
Some other android posts for bluetooth keyboards state they now work with Android 2.2.

Here's hoping.
10/14/10 6:28 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Quick Q:

i have somepalm GPS recievers which work with older Treo phone by Bluetooth.

They look similar to the external GPS shown in your posts.

Inside its BlueTooth 1.2 Compliant
FCC ID 08F238BBT GPS

Model 180-10242-00

Would this standalone GPS reciever work with the DROID phones APP?

TIA!
-Scott
10/14/10 9:06 PM as a reply to Scott Suffolk.
Unfortunately, that is a very old unit and I can't find any information on it. If it is NMEA compliant, then it might work.

Jeff
11/1/10 8:09 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Do you have any experience (or heard anything about) the QStar BT-818XT? It's only $10 more than the 818X and offers 10hz sampling. Can TrackMaster handle it? Has anyone acheived 10hz sampling?

Thanks,
Mike LaGrasta (on a Nexus One)
11/29/10 9:00 PM as a reply to Michael LaGrasta.
Michael LaGrasta:
Do you have any experience (or heard anything about) the QStar BT-818XT? It's only $10 more than the 818X and offers 10hz sampling. Can TrackMaster handle it? Has anyone acheived 10hz sampling?

Thanks,
Mike LaGrasta (on a Nexus One)

I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Droid X
11/29/10 9:05 PM as a reply to S Beatty.
11/29/10 9:10 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Jeff Trackaroo:

Thanks for the lightning fast reply Jeff!
12/25/10 3:56 AM as a reply to TIm Michaud.
TIm Michaud:
Jeff Trackaroo:

Verizon Release Doc

Jeff

Has anyone tried connecting to an external GPS with the Incredible running Android 2.2?
Some other android posts for bluetooth keyboards state they now work with Android 2.2.

I've gotten the HTC Incredible on Verizon with OS 2.2 working with the QStar 818XT. No issues getting is connected, similar results to what some others have posted, TrackMaster records timings every 0.1 seconds for several readings, then takes a 0.5 second break and starts again at 0.1 intervals.
3/18/11 2:08 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Will the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT with data logging work also? I need a good GPS with logging for other purposes and I hope to double up with one for TrackMaster.

Thanks,
Rod
3/18/11 2:56 PM as a reply to Rod Pesavento.
Yes, the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT will also work with Trackmaster.

Jeff
5/11/11 8:38 PM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
is there a way to get correct lap times when the phone is in the rear storage compartment of a motorcycle? or does the phone have to be mounted in the open? thanks
5/11/11 10:10 PM as a reply to jorge herrera.
external bt gps linking
8/26/11 11:25 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Hi Jeff (and all the other racing enthusiasts),
Just wanna say your product is awesome and well worth the price. I just got it and I only had the chance to try it going to work in my truck (no, that's not what it's intended for). It worked well considering it was only using the phone's internal gps.
I saw some concerns to the external GPS's not working well with certain phones...I have a Motorola Atrix (AT&T) and I have a Qstar BT-Q818XT on the way to run the logs at 10mhz. Do you know if there's any conflicts? I'll be doing my next trackday on my superbike soon (Labor Day). Until then, I hope to familiarize myself with most of the options available with my well anticipated toy.

Paul
8/26/11 12:58 PM as a reply to paul luis almeida.
You shouldn't have any issues. Some racers had issues on the older generation Android phones, but all the latest phones work great. The Motorola Atrix is a one of the best phones and will work great.

Jeff
inaccurate results 818xt htc sensation qstarz internal gps
12/29/11 9:15 AM as a reply to Jeff Trackaroo.
Jeff Trackaroo:
Some racers had issues on the older generation Android phones, but all the latest phones work great. The Motorola Atrix is a one of the best phones and will work great.

Jeff

Hi Jeff; thanks for creating this app for us Android/track people!

Yesterday I attempted to use my HTC Sensation 4G at the track with a Qstarz BT-Q818XT. My Sensation runs Android version 2.3.4, with HTC Sense version 3.0, if that matters. I was at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. Unfortunately I was never able to get the GPS unit to pair with my phone while I was out there, but I believe it was good 'ole "user error" as now that I'm home from the track, I've got it working fine now. *rolleyes*

With Trackmaster running off my Sensation's internal GPS, the lap times were extremely inconsistent and invalid (giving me times that were plus and minus 30 seconds of what I knew my lap times should be, and recording erroneous maximum speeds, once indicating 163 mph, when it was impossible for me to have ever exceeded 115 mph). It also would shut off and stop recording laps sometimes only a lap or two into the session, when I ran at least 8-10 laps.

Any suggestions for getting Trackmaster to work effectively with my HTC Sensation, without an external GPS unit? Just in case I'm ever at the track, and stuck w/o an external GPS (let's say I lose it, or the battery dies). Thanks in advance for the help.
12/29/11 9:37 AM as a reply to Hsun Chen.
The problem is due to the reliability and the accuracy of the internal phone GPS. This varies by manufacturer. You may be able to improve your results by improving the mounting - make sure you have a clear view of the sky and don't place the phone so that it's obstructed by metal or other interference.

More:
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/forums/-/message_boards/message/43483

Jeff